Helpful Hint: Before submitting your FID or LTC application, download the "Firearms Application Checklist" to ensure you have complete all necessary steps
Firerams Identification Card (FID)
If you had an old paper FID card, it has expired. Even if the card had an expiration date of ‘Indefinate’ it is no longer valid. You will need to apply for a new FID / LTC
Strict new eligibility requirements now apply. Please contact your local police officials for details.
A Firearm Identification Cards is the minimum requirement to possess any firearm, even in your home.
A Firearm Identification Card restricted to chemical weapons (ie: MACE or Pepper Spray) is the minimum license required to carry such weapons
License to Carry
The law creates two types of licenses to carry (LTC).
The Class A LTC permits the purchase, possession and carrying of large-capacity handguns, rifles, shotguns and feeding devices.
THIS IS THE ONLY LICENSE THAT ALLOWS THE CONCEALED CARRYING OF FIREARMS.
The Class B LTC permits the purchase, possession and carrying of non-large capacity handguns and large-capacity rifles and shotguns.
Class A and Class B LTC Information
• Your current LTC will be valid until its stated expiration date.
• New applicants must be 21 years of age or older to obtain a Class A or Class B LTC.
• The new Class A and Class B LTCs are valid for 5 years.
• The fee for a Class A or Class B LTC is $100.00.
• Strict new eligibility requirements now apply. Please contact your local police officials for details.
The Massachusetts Gun Control Act took effect on October 21, 1998.